On Monday, the Trump administration launched yet another attack against the Affordable Care Act, threatening millions of Americans’ access to health care. This time, the Trump administration is calling on federal courts to nullify the Affordable Care Act in its entirety, including eliminating protections for people with pre-existing conditions and ending Medicaid expansion.
Trump’s latest attack on the Affordable Care Act poses a direct threat to the millions of Ohioans who have benefited from the health care law. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, more than 1.2 million Ohioans have received health coverage through Ohio’s Medicaid expansion. The law also protects the nearly 5 million Ohioans with pre-existing conditions — including more than 625,000 Ohio children — from being denied health insurance or charged more for coverage.
“In what’s become par for the course, President Trump has once again broken his promise to Ohio families,” said For Our Future Ohio spokesperson Daniel van Hoogstraten. “Trump promised Ohioans with pre-existing conditions like cancer, diabetes, or asthma that he would defend their health care coverage. Instead, Trump is leading the charge to rip their health care away from them.”
President Trump has repeatedly said that he supports protections for people with pre-existing conditions and that his administration will make health insurance available to everyone by lowering the cost of health care. Instead, under Trump’s watch, health care premiums have spiked, 7 million more Americans are uninsured, and the rate of uninsured children in Ohio has increased significantly.
Earlier this month, the Trump administration also gave the green light for Ohio to impose new restrictions on the state’s Medicaid expansion, threatening health coverage for hundreds of thousands of low-income Ohioans.